Friday, December 30, 2011

Hat


A Viking hat with 6 leather panels, a horse hair tail, goat fur trim and lined with felted wool.

I used a very narrow tablet weave as a cord to wrap around the top of the hat to help secure the tail as well as closing the points. The weave was worked by using 3 cards and black mercerized cotton.

I bartered tablet woven trim for some raw wool that I used for my hat lining. I felted the wool, cut it into the wedges and stitched it when I sewed the leather for the hat. This was my first attempt at felting.

I had to poke holes with a leather awl into the goat skin before I could sew it to the hat. I worked a running stitch as my stitching method on the hat. This was my first attempt at working with any form of fur.

This is showing the four layers that were stitched together along the side panels. I used a thick coated thread that is designed for use with leather to sew the hat. This was my first attempt at working with leather.

The tablet weave tail holder on the point of the hat.

Inside view of the felted wool of the hat.

Warm fuzziness of Doom.

No comments:

Post a Comment