Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ax Sheath

Simple sheath that only protects
the edge of the blade.

Simple sheath that ties on and only protects the edge.
    There are as many styles of sheaths as there are styles of weapons. I wanted to make a durable and functional sheath for the Mammen Ax replica we bought for this outfit to protect the engravings that are on it. I opted to go for a style that was kind of a cross between these two sheaths. I wanted to be able slip it on the ax with no ties or straps and to cover all the engravings on the ax head. It looked rather plain "naked" so I had to decorate it with stamping and decorative lacing.
The cut leather. It is shaped to cover the
entire head of the axe and wrap
around the handle. This will ensure
protection of the engravings. It was
measured to be 1/2 inch larger than
the axe edges so it can slip off and on
easily.




The wax transfer. I found this pattern in the "Great Book of Celtic Patterns" by Lora S Irish. It is titled Viking Wolf and is on page 129.



The stamped leather. I am rather pleased at my first attempt at leatherworking.
Next, the holes for the lacing was made. I think I really love this nifty tool. Simply line up where you want your next four holes and pound them through.

The lacing process. This particular lacing method, called Double Loop lacing, is not a period method. Padruig really likes this style and effect--it completely covers the edge, giving it additional strength and durability and it looks really neat and tidy. It was worked using a flat leather lacing needle with a special eye that grips the lacing with teeth. You can sort of see it in this picture. I have never done any lacing like this and I am very pleased with the outcome.

Up close view of the Double Loop lacing method. I really like the braided look.

The finished axe sheath. It completely covers all that I wanted to protect and doesn't have a single tie or strap. I am rather pleased with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment